We’re march-ing right into a very important topic this month, pet poison awareness. This important topic often gets overlooked, but why? Perhaps it’s because it’s easy to assume that we know all there is to know about the topic. But did you know that the pet “no-no list” is still growing? Each year new items are added to the touch-me-not list as we learn of new food items, or newly introduced household plants, that just don’t quite mesh right with your fur-baby’s system.
So long story short, It’s not just grapes and Easter lilies you have to watch out for! While may common household items or foods might be a clear no-go, some things that you might not normally consider can be just as hazardous to your kiddos. Poison prevention for pets is similar to ours. However, pets have the helpful habit of getting into a bit more than we do. Because of this, pet poisons extend to various household foods, plants, diffuser sprays & essential oils, and other household items we might not regularly think of. For a more comprehensive list of pet poisons, check out the FDA’s list of things your fur-kiddos should eschew from HERE.
In Case Of Emergency
So what should you do if your pet has ingested or come into contact with something that might be harmful to them? Thankfully there are multiple online resources available in addition to contacting your established veterinarian. While many call lines these days are paid-for only, we did a little scouting and found a FREE call line for you. In the event of and emergency, call Poison Control Hotline (1-800) 222-1222. This line is good for both pets and their people (ahem..you), so be sure to save it for just in case.
The best rule of thumb for poison prevention is simply staying educated so that you’re aware and prepared for whatever life (or a trash-diving hound) might throw your way!